The Corinthian King’s Cup – 1914
An impressive silver yachting trophy of 47 cm high, engraved “The Kings Cups” – originally presented by King George V in 1914 to the first winner Charles McIver with his sailing yacht “Cestrian”. This cup has been renamed “The Corinthian Kings Cup” and will be presented each year as a perpetual trophy “for friendly competition between J-Class yachts, sailed by their amateur owner”. The trophy is on permanent loan from the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club.
The Corinthian King’s Cup for the regatta’s best amateur helmsman was won by Velsheda because of her great results in the Solent Regatta July 2012 (two wins a second and a fourth).
King’s Hundred Guinea Cup – 1937
This wonderful Gilt trophy of 54 cm high was originally presented by King George VI at the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club in 1937. The trophy was last won by Eric Maxwell with the 12-Metre yacht Scepter which competed against the American defender Columbia in the 1958 America’s Cup. Mr. Maxwell was a member of the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club.
Now known as the “King’s Hundred Guinea Cup” and presented to the winning J Class yacht Lionheart (built by Claasen) in the race around the Isle of Wight on 21st July 2012. Lionheart was competing in her first J-Class regatta season.